In this post, we’re going to determine whether your perfumes are giving off the wrong vibe for the people around you. Remember, what smells great to you might not be the same impression for someone else. Perfumes are indeed a great way to show your personality. However, it might be causing your family, friends, or co-workers uncomfortable or even sick. Even though perfumes are intended to smell pleasant; to some, their odor is too strong that they have the same negative effect as cigarette smoke.
Does the Odor Enter the Room First Before You?
If the answer to this is yes, then you might be applying more perfume or cologne than you should. Or, you are using them in the wrong way. If you are doing the following, then you might want to consider changing your ways:
- You apply so much perfume or cologne, apply deodorant with a different scent, and lotion that also has a completely different fragrance. You have so much going on here and to some, this is overwhelming. If you do want to use scented deodorant, you might want to consider something that has the same scent as your body cologne and lotion. Be careful not to apply too much to avoid giving off negative effects.
- You eat your lunch that also has a strong scent in your cubicle. Even how busy you are, you need to eat your lunch at the cafeteria or in a lunchroom. Eating in your cubicle gives off scent to others who are still working and it could be distracting. If you need to eat in your work area, go for those that don’t give off a strong odor, such as biscuits.
- You exercise but don’t shower and go directly to work or some engagement. Even how much deodorant and cologne or perfume you apply, it will battle with your scent from working out. You may not notice it, but everyone will know that you just hit the gym. This is really uncomfortable for them. Most cannot tell you directly while others might have been giving you subtle hints but you fail to comprehend them.
Sensory Overload and Fragrance Allergies
You may have not noticed it, but many people are actually irritated or uncomfortable by the scented perfumes and colognes other people use. Some of them suffer from health problems from other scented products such as air fresheners. So, be careful when you want to smell really good. Too much fragrance going on is not good for the people around you.
Even though that this issue is common, some people still tend to use strong fragrances. Here are some of the reasons why:
- People have lack of awareness. A person is not aware or does not notice that their scent is overwhelming or harmful to others. Sometimes, it’s because other people are too shy or afraid to tell someone that their perfume or cologne is bothering them. This is why they choose to suffer in silence. If you are someone who is affected by someone’s scent, it’s better to tell them about it in a nice and clear way.
- Some people have a sense of entitlement. This is a more serious problem as even after telling the person, they still don’t see the issue. Even if people are offended or affected with their strong scents, they don’t see anything wrong with it as it’s how they show their character. Whether other people like it or not, it’s no longer their problem.
If you notice someone has negative reactions to your scent, it’s best that you minimize using it or better yet, find another scent. Even an empty perfume bottle nearby, you should be careful that this person does not smell it to prevent health complications.
- Some suffer from health problems. When someone has a strong smell, sometimes it’s not their fault. Some suffer from health problems that cause them to smell that way. In other cases, it’s their personal hygiene that is the problem. Poor personal hygiene is often associated as a health problem. In this case, the person needs to know that they need to change their ways since they are already affecting other people in a very negative way.
Common Scents That Can Cause Hypersensitivity
To give you more awareness, here are some of the scents that could trigger hypersensitivity or allergies:
Personal Hygiene Causes
Having proper personal hygiene is not only beneficial for us, but could also avoid causing other people sickness or discomfort. If you have some of the items, while it’s completely okay to use them, it’s important to be more mindful:
- Perfume or cologne
- Soap and shampoo
- Strong body odor
In your home or workplace, it’s helpful to identify what triggers people’s allergies so you can be more careful when using them.
- Certain food
- Air fresheners
- Cigarette smoking
- Laundry products
- Adhesives or glue
- Cleaning products
Signs and Symptoms of Hypersensitivity or Allergies
If you or someone you know are hypersensitive or allergic to certain scents, it helps to know the signs and symptoms so you can attend to it right away. Some health ailments associated with scents are migraines, asthma, and other respiratory problems.
- Skin irritation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Anxiety and depression
- Runny nose, constant sneezing, and watery eyes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Shortness of breath
You might think that oversensitivity and allergies to fragrance is not that serious. For some, it might be, but for others, they suffer more and these symptoms could lead to something more threatening to health. So, it’s not only about releasing negative vibes, but it’s also about avoiding serious health problems.